Wedding speeches – It is one of the most important aspect in any any wedding and can not be taken lightly. Whether you’re the best man, maid of honor, mother or father of the bride or groom, or another member of the wedding party, being asked to write a wedding speech can be not only an honor, but also a daunting prospect. So here are some tips for making that one-off speech both entertaining and interesting for your listeners, and an enjoyable part of the proceedings for you.
Background Information – The Key to an Individual Speech
Before you even begin to think about your speech, do some research. You may think you know everything there is to know about the couple, but it’s always worth getting to know a little more. Ask them over for supper or drinks, and be ready to take notes.
Start with some basic questions, to warm them up and just get them chatting about their relationship. You might ask, for example, how they met, how long have they known each other, or how they felt about each other when they first met. How the proposal happened is always a useful piece of information to know. And moving up to date, what are their mutual interests, and what do they have planned for the future?
The Order Of Wedding Speeches
Your first words are crucial, in that you will want to grab your audience’s attention. Start with a short sentence – perhaps introducing yourself – and follow that with a light-hearted reason for why you were asked to speak. Use a quote if you like, or something you think might get a laugh, or at least a smile. But make sure you’re comfortable with what you’re saying, even if you use other wedding speech examples to inspire you.
The middle section of the speech could include amusing anecdotes – but, unless you’re absolutely sure that they don’t mind and have specifically checked potential content with those concerned, do not directly reference past relationships, drunken capers, or other embarrassing episodes. If you do, at best you risk alienating at least part of your audience and at worst, losing friends.
Keep things light and generally positive and you’ll take your listeners along with you on the journey of your speech and create a pleasant and likeable impression. Good content for the middle of your speech could include some of the information you gleaned from your initial research, and/or general advice for newly wed couples. Quotations can again be useful here, and you may feel more comfortable using tried and tested content than writing your own.
Wedding Speech Examples
Have a look online or in books at other people’s funny wedding speeches, and see if you can adapt some of their content to fit with your own sense of humor and the couple whose wedding it is.
Finish with a congratulatory sentence, simple as you like, and a toast to the couple, and you’re done. Now you can relax and enjoy everyone else’s wedding speeches!
Tips for Creating the Perfect Wedding Speech
- Maid of Honor Speeches – Maid of honor speeches that are dry and forced will never be something the guests nor the happy couple will remember. Remember that you were asked to be the maid of honor for a very good reason. Find out how to craft a memorable maid of honor speech!
- Best Man Speeches – Giving a best man speech at a wedding is your chance to leave you stamp on the wedding. But how can you do this without embarrassing yourself and your friend and upsetting his lovely bride? Get great wedding speech ideas here!
- Giving a Bride’s Speech – Though not always given, a bride’s speech at her wedding reception is a beautiful addition to the ceremony. Sometimes brides feel that they just need to relax and enjoy the festivities. But if you feel inclined to give a speech on this big day, click here for some great ideas!
- Groom Speeches – Groom speeches can be funny, touching, and occasionally embarrassing to the groom or friends and family. Let’s face it, most of us aren’t used to getting up and giving a speech every day. Get expert tips on giving a groom’s speech here.
- Father of the Bride Speech – Walking your little girl down the aisle to get married is a proud and sad moment. And you will have the opportunity to convey this when you give your Father of the Bride Speech. Find out how to create a speech that will leave them speechless.
- Mother of the Bride Speech – What mother doesn’t look forward to the day that her precious daughter marries a handsome young man. Sometimes conveying your feelings in your Mother of the Bride Speech can be difficult. Get tips here and make that speech more than memorable!
- How to Write a Wedding Speech – Some people have no problem crafting the perfect wedding speech. If that isn’t you then read our top 6 tips on how to write a wedding speech and impress everyone on the big day.
- Wedding Speech Etiquette – When giving a wedding speech the last thing you want to do is upset the bride and groom. Learn proper wedding speech etiquette BEFORE crafting your speech to save everyone a little heartache.
- Writing a Funny Wedding Speech - For some people writing funny wedding speeches is as easy as writing an email to a friend. But for the rest of us, this is a daunting task. You don’t want to over do it, or write something offensive. Find out how to write and deliver the perfect funny wedding speech!
- Wedding Speech Examples – Writing a wedding speech is one of the toughest jobs to start, so why not have a look at some wedding speech examples? You can find them easily online as well as in the many books available in bookstores, and they’ll almost certainly help to get you going.
- Wedding Speech Ideas – Not all of us are natural born speech writers. Fortunately there are plenty of bride speech examples available online. Get our essential tips on delivering the perfect bride speech at your wedding.